My book, Beckoning Blood, is about twin (vampire) brothers, Olivier and Thierry. They share a psychic link that one twin loves but the other doesn’t. In fact, Thierry would rather not be a twin at all. And considering how possessive and brutish Olivier is, there’s a lot of conflict between the two of them. Especially when all of Thierry’s love is directed towards Etienne. Then all hell breaks loose.
I’m not sure about you but there’s something about twins, particularly identical twins, that I find fascinating. Maybe it’s the similarity in appearance, or the connection the twins share, but my ears prick up whenever anyone says they’re a twin.
And so, today, in honour of twins and the release this month of Beckoning Blood, I thought I’d share seven facts about twins I bet you didn’t know.
2. Twins often share phobias and respond similarly.
3. About 40 percent of twins invent their own languages. Thierry and Olivier share a very deep bond that doesn’t really need a spoken language. Much to Thierry’s annoyance.
4. Due to the influences of environmental factors, identical twins grow dissimilar over time. The older the twins, the less like each other they are. Even in looks. Thierry and Olivier kind of get stopped in time in their 20s so physically they’re locked in, but mentally? Well, you’ll have to read to find out.
5. Did you know that there are mirror-image twins? While they might look the same, certain features are flipped, such as opposite dominant hands or even mirror-image fingerprints.
6. One in four twins are left-handed, as opposed to one in twelve in the general population. Just for the record, Olivier and Thierry are right-handed.
7. If you’re a twin, science wants to get its hands on you. While researching, I found a number of twin registries in different countries. The main reason for this is to study the importance of genetic and environmental conditions of a range of common conditions/diseases.
So what do you think about twins? Are you a twin or a parent of twins? What blows your mind about them?
ABOUT THE BOOK: Beckoning Blood
May 1, 2014
A gripping, blood‐drenched saga about twin brothers, the men they love, and the enduring truth that true love never dies – no matter how many times you kill it.
Thierry d’Arjou has but one escape from the daily misery of his work at a medieval abattoir – Etienne de Balthas. But keeping their love a secret triggers a bloody chain of events that condemns Thierry to a monstrous immortality. Thierry quickly learns that to survive his timeless exile, he must hide his sensitive heart from the man who both eases and ensures his loneliness...his twin brother.
Shaped by the fists of a brutal father, Olivier d’Arjou cares for only two things: his own pleasure and his twin. But their sadistic path through centuries is littered with old rivals and new foes, and Olivier must fight for what is rightfully his – Thierry, made immortal just for him.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Daniel de Lorne
Daniel de Lorne writes mostly about the loves and trials of hot and sexy paranormal men – and creatures. He grew up in Perth, Western Australia, and developed a fascination for the mythical and magical early on. Daniel wrote stories from a young age but it was high school biology class he remembers fondly as providing an excellent cover for writing stories that were filled with teen angst and fantastical creatures. He now lives in Canada with his partner. It was while in this great northern frontier that Escape Publishing accepted his first book, Beckoning Blood, for publication.
For a free read, introducing you to the “heroes” of Daniel’s book, head to his website at www.danieldelorne.com/the-boys